Tuesday, January 27, 2009

If I Was a Horseman...

If I was a horseman I would know that unbalanced Thoroughbred Racehorses breakdown.  I would look at finish line videos and see that almost every American trained Thoroughbred Racehorse runs slightly slanted to the left, unbalanced in its action and stride.

If I was a horseman I would know or learn how to balance a racehorse.  I would know that it is impossible to produce balanced racehorses training and racing left-turn only.

If I was a horseman I would not allow exercise riders or jockeys to ride acey-ducey; putting their weight slightly off center on my racehorses back, adding to unbalancing my Thoroughbred Racehorses.  Nor would I allow exercise riders to hold a neck strap or martingale and a rein in one hand pulling my racehorse’s heads unnaturally to one side contributing to unbalancing my racehorses.

If I was a horseman I would know that the Seven (7) minutes maximum the average American Thoroughbreds racehorse spends on the training track is not enough training time for developing the bone, ligament, tendon densities plus heart and lung strength necessary to withstand racing’s pressures.

If I was a horseman I would know or learn what type of track work is needed to develop the correct bone, ligament, tendon densities plus heart and lung development that produces sound, non-bleeding racehorses able to withstand racing’s pressures.   I would study the training schedules of old-time trainers during the days of America’s drug free iron racehorses who started 20 times as 2yo’s and stayed sound for an average 100-plus lifetime starts and the training charts of modern leading Australian trainers who breeze(d) their racehorses 2 or 3 times per week, sometimes their full race distance.   I would come to know that breezing only once a week does not provide enough race specific exercise to keep my horse’s race fit, sound and not bleeding.   And I would know that harmful unnecessary, legal race day drugs like lasix (salix), glenbuterol, bute, injecting joints with steroids are badly affecting my racehorses health and racing longevity plus they allow owners and trainers to run half-fit, unsound racehorses instead of turning them out letting nature heal them.

If I was a horseman I would walk my horses for 15-30 minutes BEFORE they go on the training track starting a correct and necessary warm up process.

If I was a horseman I would slow jog my racehorses for at least a half-mile before they workout to continue a correct and necessary warm up process and I would slow jog my racehorses for a mile AFTER they workout, providing a correct and necessary lactic acid flush of their musculature systems.

If I was a horseman I would sand roll my racehorses after every workout, before they are hosed off or washed so that they would not roll in their stalls, casting and injuring themselves unnecessarily?

If I was a horseman I would hot-walk my racehorses to the left on the day they worked right turn and I would hot-walk my racehorses to the right on the day they worked left turn to help prevent arthritic back and neck conditions that affect far too many left-turn only  American Thoroughbred Racehorses.

If I was a horseman I would know that tree-less exercise saddles cause the sore backs prevalent in far too many American Thoroughbred Racehorses.  I would know that when a rider stands up in the stirrups for slow gallops he or she is forcing my Thoroughbred Racehorses to work off the forequarter (pounding the ground), that if the riders sit down in the saddle (as they do in South America) they would help my Thoroughbred Racehorses work off their hindquarter, developing more driving power and helping to keep them sound.

If I was a horseman I would know that a horse (or human) standing unnaturally still and stiff in a tight space (racetrack stall) for 23 hours per day is susceptible to arthritic conditions.    I would know that a horse needs an hour afternoon walk in the sun to keep it limbs mobile and to receive some of the vital natural vitamin-D that helps keep racehorses sound and healthy.

If I was a horseman I would provide small sun-yards for my racehorses so that weather permitting they would spend a second hour in the sun, receiving more vital natural vitamin-D that definitely helps keep my racehorses sound, healthy, not-bleeding and helps keep racehorses horses from suffering the terrible boredom of 23 hours locked in far too small unventilated racetrack stalls continually breathing in virus and bacteria laden air.

If I was a horseman I would not overfeed and under work my racehorses.

If I was a horseman I would provide good clean dust free hay, clean water and fresh-cut green-chop for my racehorses.

If I was really a horseman???

E. Abraham Ola    

No comments:

Post a Comment